Newham CCG is made up of GPs, and it is our job is to commission health services on behalf of our local population. We choose and buy services from a range of different organisations including hospitals and community health services. Commissioning committees are responsible for the day-to-day planning, monitoring and quality assurance of healthcare services that Newham CCG commissions.
If you live in Newham and have experience of using NHS services, including carers of users of those services, we want to hear from you. Get involved and help put patient voice at the centre of how we plan, monitor and buy health services on behalf of local people.
We need you!
Newham CCG is seeking enthusiastic and committed individuals to represent the patient voice on a variety of commissioning projects, programmes and tenders.
We regularly offer patients opportunities to take part in surveys and focus groups to inform both our work, including our work with other organisations, on projects that enhance clinical practice and patient experience of healthcare.
This is called Patient and Public Involvement and Public Engagement.
What is Patient and Public Involvement and Public Engagement?
Patient and public involvement entails research being carried out ‘with’ or ‘by’ members of the public, rather than ‘to’, ‘about’ or ‘for’ them. The word public can refer to:
- residents, patient and potential patients of Newham
- people who use health and social care services
- people from organisations that represent people who use services
- as well as members of the public.
Patient and public involvement is often abbreviated to PPI.
Patient and public engagement is often abbreviated to PPE.
Ideally you will someone an interest in influencing healthcare in Newham and working to improve patient experience. You should be familiar with the wider healthcare landscape and be able to show that you can demonstrate the ability to participate in meetings, workshops, surveys and events.
Main elements of the role and what we are looking for:
- be a person living in Newham who has experience of NHS services in Newham, or a local carer of someone using NHS services in Newham
- an ability to work with senior health and social care professionals
- experience of and understanding of the community and voluntary sector landscape in Newham
- an understanding and broad interest in the priorities of the commissioning committee you are applying to
- a high level understanding of the NHS and social care structure
- the ability to champion the diversity of patients’ views, and not just to represent their own experience
- the ability to understand and evaluate a range of information and evidence
- an understanding of the need for confidentiality
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Contact Jenny Keiza, Interim Patient and Public Engagement Manager, NHS Newham CCG at Jennifer.Keiza@nhs.net or on 020 3816 3860.
Over 150 people answered our call to talk about community health services. Building Healthy Communities aims to transform community services by putting patients at the centre of change
NHS Newham CCG is committed to working in equal partnership with local people to develop health services that meet the needs of our community. We put patients, carers and the voluntary sector at the heart of all that we do.
The engagement opportunities in this section are just some of the ways you can actively participate in decision-making. By working with us, you will have the opportunity to:
- Attend events, workshops and community outreach sessions to help us identify and assess what people want and need from health and care
- Join service redesign groups to improve patient experience in GP Practices, hospital and community services
- Become a patient representative on our Commissioning Committees, working groups and procurements where you can help us develop our strategies and plans, participate in tendering and contracting across the procurement cycle, as well as co-produce patient centred solutions to involving patients in their health and care
- Join innovative grassroots initiatives that empower people to take control of their health and wellbeing including community champions, volunteering and community prescription.
- Join our online community by having your say on Newham Patient Voice Though community engagement still underpins our engagement approach, our ambition is to also mobilise people through social media.
To get involved email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 3816 3860.
Hear what Angus, patient representative for the musculosketal (MSK) structured collaboration has to say about his involvement in one of our working groups.
We are also empowering communities in Newham and across east London to take control of their own health through the power of sport and social networks. See our video below about a recent walking football tournament organised by Newham CCG in partnership with Love Football and Soccer 6.
Sign up for our latest news
If you’d like to receive our quarterly newsletter to keep up-to-date with our latest news and hear about opportunities to get involved please provide your contact details below.