Newham CCG is made up of GPs, and it is our job is to commission health services on behalf of our local population. We choose and buy services from a range of different organisations including hospitals and community health services. Commissioning committees are responsible for the day-to-day planning, monitoring and quality assurance of healthcare services that Newham CCG commissions.
If you live in Newham and have experience of using NHS services, including carers of users of those services, we want to hear from you. Get involved and help put patient voice at the centre of how we plan, monitor and buy health services on behalf of local people.
We need you!
Newham CCG is seeking enthusiastic and committed individuals to represent the patient voice on a variety of commissioning projects, programmes and tenders.
We regularly offer patients opportunities to take part in surveys and focus groups to inform both our work, including our work with other organisations, on projects that enhance clinical practice and patient experience of healthcare.
This is called Patient and Public Involvement and Public Engagement.
What is Patient and Public Involvement and Public Engagement?
Patient and public involvement entails research being carried out ‘with’ or ‘by’ members of the public, rather than ‘to’, ‘about’ or ‘for’ them. The word public can refer to:
- residents, patient and potential patients of Newham
- people who use health and social care services
- people from organisations that represent people who use services
- as well as members of the public.
Patient and public involvement is often abbreviated to PPI.
Patient and public engagement is often abbreviated to PPE.
Ideally you will someone an interest in influencing healthcare in Newham and working to improve patient experience. You should be familiar with the wider healthcare landscape and be able to show that you can demonstrate the ability to participate in meetings, workshops, surveys and events.
Main elements of the role and what we are looking for:
- be a person living in Newham who has experience of NHS services in Newham, or a local carer of someone using NHS services in Newham
- an ability to work with senior health and social care professionals
- experience of and understanding of the community and voluntary sector landscape in Newham
- an understanding and broad interest in the priorities of the commissioning committee you are applying to
- a high level understanding of the NHS and social care structure
- the ability to champion the diversity of patients’ views, and not just to represent their own experience
- the ability to understand and evaluate a range of information and evidence
- an understanding of the need for confidentiality
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Contact Jenny Keiza, Interim Patient and Public Engagement Manager, NHS Newham CCG at Jennifer.Keiza@nhs.net or on 020 3816 3860.