Choosing the right service
As your NHS faces higher demand it’s time to take greater control over your own health and think about using other NHS services instead of calling 999 or going to the accident and emergency department.
The NHS is there for you when you need it, but we all have a responsibility to take care of our health, that’s why we’re committed to helping you take control of your health and make the right decisions about the best service for your needs. We see you as an equal partner in decision-making about your health and in managing your health so that you can have the best quality of life while protecting your NHS and using this precious resource wisely.
Which NHS service?
- NHS 111 - NHS 111 is a free telephone number available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call NHS 111 for urgent medical help or advice, or for advice on where to go to get the right help.
- Pharmacy - your local pharmacy can provide medical advice and support without needing an appointment. If you’ve got diarrhoea, a headache, runny nose, rash or a painful cough Think Pharmacy First!
- GP - your GP surgery offers regular opening hours most days except Sundays and bank holidays. Outside of your GP’s opening hours call NHS 111 who offer advice and support and can transfer you for an out-of-hours GP appointment where necessary.
- Walk-in centres - there are several NHS walk-in centres across east London that offer urgent care for minor injuries. Check on www.nhs.uk to find your nearest walk-in centre.
- A&E - Emergency departments provide care for patients with the most urgent and life-threatening injuries. Please think about whether A&E is the best place for you before visiting A&E.
- Self-care - save yourself a trip to the GP by keeping your medicine cabinet stocked up and treating minor ailments such as coughs and colds and sprains and strains at home.
- 8am -8pm GP appointments - if you live in Newham you can access appointments from 8am - 8pm Monday to Sunday when you can’t get an appointment with your own GP by calling the GP Cooperative on 020 7540 9949.
- Extended GP opening hours - many practices in Newham now offer extended opening hours offering appointments in the evenings and on Saturdays. If you can’t get an appointment at your GP practice call 020 7511 2075 Monday to Friday, 9am - 6pm to access the extended hours GP service.