Safeguarding Children and Young People
The safety and welfare of children is very important to Newham CCG. We have taken a number of steps to promote the safety and wellbeing of children. These include:
- Employing a Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Children. We also have sessions from a Designated Doctor and Nurse for Looked After Children. Their roles are to take a professional and strategic lead on all aspects of the health service contribution to safeguarding children.
- Ensuring that all CCG staff have access to training to enable them to recognise and report safeguarding concerns.
- Attending the Local Safeguarding Children Board where we meet with key organisations such as the local authority and police to ensure the local priorities for safeguarding children are met.
- Regularly meeting with health organisations that provide services for children and young people so that we can work with them to ensure they have systems in place for safeguarding children and young people.
- Supporting GPs who have a lead for safeguarding children within their practices.
Looked After Children and Safeguarding Review in Newham
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) recently carried out a review of how health services in Newham keep children safe and contribute to promoting the health and wellbeing of looked after children and care leavers. The CQC is responsible for regulating health and social care services against the national standards.
The review was part of the CQC’s routine programme of reviewing services. To read the review report published on 3 July 2014 visit the CQC website.
Newham CCG’s Safeguarding Children professionals are as follows:
Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Children
Dr Meng Tan
Designated Doctor for Safeguarding Children
Designated Nurse for Looked After Children
Dr Emma Tukmachi
Named GP for Safeguarding Children
The team can be contacted via 020 3688 2345.
If you are worried about a child, please contact Newham Children’s Social Care between hours 9am to 5pm 020 3373 4600, after 5pm 020 8430 2000.
Useful websites and resources
Children and families
Children's Social Care Services are delivered by London Borough of Newham Child and Family Services.
National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)
A guide to private fostering for children and young people
A guide to private fostering for parents and carers
Healthwatch Newham Community Directory
Coping with stress
Voice Box, Childline’s weekly video chat, features Hannah Trigwell chatting about how to handle life under pressure.
Source: YouTube Date: 23 August 2017
Further information: Childline