Newham Medicines Management team
The Newham Medicines Management team supports Newham CCG’s aim and mission to work in partnership with our community and local health stakeholders to improve the health of Newham population by delivering medicines optimisation in the new health and social care system to meet the needs of patients. We aim to achieve this by ensuring improvements in health outcomes through:
- Promoting safe, evidence based and cost-effective use of medicines
- Providing up-to-date, unbiased information about medicines, treatments and care pathways
- Supporting practitioners and patients to make best use of medicines
- Minimising the harm caused by medicines
- Developing local guidelines and care pathways to optimise the use of medicines and management of conditions
- Collaborating with local hospital trusts and other healthcare providers to support these.
Formularies are an important tool in promoting and underpinning safe and effective use of medicines in line with the Innovation Health and Wealth commitment to publish NHS formularies to facilitate patient and professional engagement. The development of formularies is based on evaluations of efficacy, safety and cost effectiveness of drugs. Please find below links to the Newham CCG formulary which also provides information on the ‘Drugs Traffic light’ system adopted in Newham.