Inner North East London Transforming Care Partnership: City & Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest
Transforming Care aims to improve life for people with learning disabilities and people with autism who have challenging behaviour. It comes in the aftermath of the Winterbourne View enquiry that found these most vulnerable people often living in institutional and poor quality, unsafe services, far from family and friends. Our plan is to give the right support in the right place at the right time with each person.
We’ve held events to find out what’s needed and have spoken to families, support providers, and a wide range of staff as well as experts from outside our area to help form our plan. Thanks to all of them for their time, frankness, and for their ideas. Our plan will help us to:
- Strengthen local services so they have the ability and the capacity to cater for people here.
- Develop paid staff and support families to increase resilience, competence and confidence in supporting people with challenging behaviour.
- Involve people much more in decisions about support.
- Offer personal health budgets so people can take control of their own support services where they wish to.
- Catch people before they fall, and make sure we offer support before people experience a crisis.
- Improve access to housing for this group of people.
- Help to steer people through critical periods of change, and make services easier to access.
As a result 20% less people will end up in hospital and less people will be leaving to live in colleges and residential homes away from the places and people they know and call home.
Look out on our websites for updates on our progress.
If you would like to be involved in the Transforming Care work, please contact email@example.com
Transforming care aims to provide
- the right support, in the right place and at the right time
- support from competent and confident staff
- positive local options to catch people when they fall